My morning started like this: I woke up in a panic, after sleeping through forty minutes worth of alarms, induced by a late night at the Casbah watching The Rest and The Besnard Lakes. It was a fabulous show and definitely worth the heavy eyes this morning. But two things were missing from my apartment. I checked my bedside table, my bookshelves, my magazine rack — everywhere — in search of the two books I am currently reading (summer of my amazing luck by Miriam Toews and the Miss G_ Project book, which I blogged about below). To make matters worse, I have a horrible habit of using my $200.00 train pass as a bookmark. I knew I hadn't seen them at all on Sunday and I knew they weren't at my parent's place. So, there was only one place to look.
Sitting inside the dumpster outside, still intact, without a single drop of water were my two books, strewn across discarded bills, receipts, and other trash. Luckily, they were right at the top, surrounded by only my recycling (No food waste, thank God!). But seriously, who accidentally throws out two books? Very reminiscent of a few months back when I found my Leonard Cohen tickets mixed in with my recycling. How can that not be a lesson learned?
I am beyond lucky. Not only am I halfway through the first book, the latter I need to review for rabble as soon as I can. And buying a new train pass on the 16th of June would not have been ideal!
Speaking of costs that aren't ideal, I'm broke. I'm stressed about money and I'm broke. It isn't that I've been on spending sprees as of late, either. I simply don't make enough to cover my bills, while maintaining a level of sanity by going out from time to time. Sure, maybe I make a few too many trips to sushi restaurants, or have an extra Caesar or two that I shouldn't, but for the most part I do very, very well.
Speaking of expensive trips out, we took my dad to La Piazza Allegro for dinner last night and it was incredible (as always). My dad knows the chef, so we were even sent some sort of tequila concoction on the house. Awesome! I had capelletti stuffed with spinach, crab, and cheese, served with shrimp, plus mussels as an appetizer. It's a great restaurant and it also holds the distinction of being the place that prompted me to eat fish after a decade-long hiatus! Delicious.
Sitting inside the dumpster outside, still intact, without a single drop of water were my two books, strewn across discarded bills, receipts, and other trash. Luckily, they were right at the top, surrounded by only my recycling (No food waste, thank God!). But seriously, who accidentally throws out two books? Very reminiscent of a few months back when I found my Leonard Cohen tickets mixed in with my recycling. How can that not be a lesson learned?
I am beyond lucky. Not only am I halfway through the first book, the latter I need to review for rabble as soon as I can. And buying a new train pass on the 16th of June would not have been ideal!
Speaking of costs that aren't ideal, I'm broke. I'm stressed about money and I'm broke. It isn't that I've been on spending sprees as of late, either. I simply don't make enough to cover my bills, while maintaining a level of sanity by going out from time to time. Sure, maybe I make a few too many trips to sushi restaurants, or have an extra Caesar or two that I shouldn't, but for the most part I do very, very well.
Speaking of expensive trips out, we took my dad to La Piazza Allegro for dinner last night and it was incredible (as always). My dad knows the chef, so we were even sent some sort of tequila concoction on the house. Awesome! I had capelletti stuffed with spinach, crab, and cheese, served with shrimp, plus mussels as an appetizer. It's a great restaurant and it also holds the distinction of being the place that prompted me to eat fish after a decade-long hiatus! Delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment