I wrote this months ago, on my birthday, and meant to post it, but of course, I forgot. It was supposed to be a reflection on being 23, but I didn’t finish it, so ignore the abrupt ending!
Twenty-three. Hmmmm. Being the pathetically nostalgic person that Iam, I might as well take the opportunity to reflect. I think Jordan might be the only one to read my blog anyways, and he gets to hear al lof this in person on a daily basis!
I'd like to say that I'll skip the obvious, because I've exhausted thesubject on here, but I won't. Twenty-three was a magnificent year of change. Moving away from the city I love, but closer to the people that I love, was the biggest thing to happen in my life this year. It's still a sorry subject at times! But I've settled in quite well.
Professionally it has also been an exhausting, but wonderful year. I graduated on a ridiculously warm day last June. I now have two internships on my resume (Hamilton Magazine and rabble.ca). I quit Future Shop not once. Not twice. But three times while I was twenty-three. And that doesn't include the half dozen times I walked into the office and threatened to do it. I'm taking on a magazine called Educated Solutions, where I was actually able to hire writers, edit their work, write my own feature and in the end will have also designed much of the publication.
I have started writing book reviews. And not just for my own personal enjoyment, but you can actually purchase them in Blackfly Magazine at many magazine shops. I'm working at the National Magazine Awards next week. And though I'll no longer be 23, I was when I applied! And I've even stumbled upon a job in publishing. It's a fascinating industry, but I think in the end I want to risk being a starving writer.
No comments:
Post a Comment